‘Adventure’ Travel, ‘ Experiential’ Travel, ‘ Exploratory’ …Travel – The tag words are endless, yet the challenge remains the same – Finding truly extraordinary lodging in places less explored. Anyone intrepid traveler knows that to roll up your wanderlust, exercise your inner “Indiana Jones,” and wander the extra mile to travel to a hidden backwater knows this fact. The places that feel beyond far away, regardless of location, are the most Untrodden and unsurprisingly, the most difficult to uncover.
Untrodden’s mission, quite simply, is to facilitate discovery and exploration among roads less traveled, to seed immersive experiences that invoke a sense of curiosity, awe and wonder. We celebrate the urge to explore the world’s overlooked and hidden wonders by empowering curious travelers to discover and book unique accommodations in “off-the-beaten-path” locales. In a way, clearing the fog, cutting through the noise, and curating collections of lodging in the world’s most extraordinary destinations.
Peel back the cover of Untrodden and you will find passionate and curious explorers and adventurers obsessively scouring the world for inspiring and original places to stay. We have designed our digital marketplace to showcase and celebrate those properties that most appeal to the wanderlust in us all and are currently in private beta testing preceding a larger public launch in the fall of 2017.
Embodied by the world’s most extraordinary places to stay – far more than a roof and a bed, each Untrodden property serves as an experience-rich home from which to deeply connect with the local environment and culture.
1. Stripped down and past its aluminum studs, this vintage beauty has been redesigned into a large studio with three large frameless glass panels that slide open to a huge cantilevered deck with unrivaled views of County Line beach, the Channel islands, Catalina and Deer creek canyon.
2. Situated in a private reserve overlooking Torres del Paine National Park, Awasi Patagonia has just 12 guest villas and a main lodge. Each villa is assigned with a private guide and 4WD vehicle so guests can explore Patagonia at their own pace, visiting where they want, when they want.
3. Jicaro Island is one of the Isletas (small islands) in Lake Nicaragua, designed as an ecolodge with low negative impact on the environment and high positive impact on the local community. Jicaro is a secluded island getaway, ideal for an out of the ordinary sustainable and luxury vacation travel.
4. Set at the foothills of Mount Stephens along the Great Bear Rainforest coastline of British Columbia, Nimmo Bay Wilderness Resort is an exclusive fly-fishing and wilderness adventure destination. Founded more than 30 years ago, the resort is a mecca for anglers, mariners and adventurers alike. With the use of Helicopters and Boats, Nimmo Bay customizes adventure holidays to match anyone’s wildest desires.
5. The Don Sheldon Mountain House may be the world’s most spectacularly situated cabin. Perched on a 4.9 acre rock and ice covered outcrop located at the 5,800 foot level, in the middle of the Don Sheldon Amphitheater just above the Ruth Gorge, it is surrounded on all sides by towering granite walls and glaciers flowing off the flanks of Denali, less than 10 miles away. It’s used primarily from March through October by photographers, skiiers, mountaineers, and anyone who wants to get far away from the world.
6. “The Edge”. The name says it all, as you’ll feel like you’re at the Earth’s edge. Your home will be a cozy stone house, mixed with the endless sky and the extraordinary blue of the Mediterranean, atop a cliff overlooking a magnificent, serpentine scene.
7. The hotel’s location relative to the “Golden Circle” route makes ION the perfect base from which to explore Iceland’s rich heritage, diverse flora and fauna, and opportunities for extreme adventures. Guests can enjoy Hengill volcanic area, Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Station, the river Öxará, Gullfoss waterfall, the hot springs area of Geysir, the Kerið crater and many other natural wonders; just to name a few.
8. Under Canvas Moab is located on 40 acres 7 miles north of Moab, Utah, just moments away from the entrance to both Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. With views across the desert towards Arches, the camp blends into its dramatic surroundings where deep canyons and towering plateaus create a raw landscape of immense power.
9. Nihiwatu is an intimate island retreat where ancient tribal culture uniquely forms the backdrop to an experience of unregulated freedom, understated luxury and unforgettable memories. They call it “the edge of wildness” and with good reason. Perched on the dramatic coastline of the Indonesian island of Sumba (a one-hour flight from Bali), Nihiwatu offers an exotic combination of remote location and understated hedonism.
10. With captain Sigurdur Jonsson as your trusted compass, a pair of steal-hulled, arctic sailboats under foot, and an intoxicating arctic landscape on your horizon, there are few experiences on this planet that so beautiful mix adventure, comfort, and a yearning for exploration like the Aurora and the Arktika. The northwestern coast of Iceland and the Forbidden Coast of East Greenland are your natural playgrounds, and Siggi will ensure any adventure on your fleet comes with a healthy dose of Icelandic lore and culture.
More information at https://untrodden.com